Friday, December 28, 2007

This Blog

"This being human is a guest house...."

First off, this is meant to be mainly a Second Life blog. That being said, my Second Life is on the surface quite different from my Real Life, but I am the same. More or less. I have fewer inhibitions on SL, and am more outgoing it seems. But this, I've come to believe is more the real me than what you see in RL. It's confusing, yes? When I get to know people in RL, I tend to be a nut, as I am most of the time in SL. On SL I tend to get to know people quicker and turn into said nut quicker. Anyway......yes, there will be rambling on this blog, too.

The first post on my blog introduces my title in the form of a poem by Rumi. The Guest House is about being human and is Rumi's advice to welcome all experience without judgement and without pushing it away. Quite the opposite of my first reaction to any pain or discomfort. That goes for RL and SL. And in SL, we get all the emotions and feelings that we get in RL. I've experienced love, lust, frustration, anger, friendship, heartbreak and loss.

And through these events and the emotions that ensued, I have learned much about myself. I have found myself to be not as virtuous as I had previously thought. In RL I have never been tempted to cheat on my spouse, but in SL......oh yes, I have been tempted. I have found that given the right circumstances, I will do, or consider doing, things I didn't think I would do. I have also done good things that I might not do in RL, such as being willing to help a complete stranger, etc. So this SL has been a wonderful classroom towards self-discovery.

"He may be clearing you out for some new delight." In AA, we say that when God closes a window, look around, because He's probably opened a door for you. That is what Rumi is saying here, that if I can get past the heartbreak, or whatever, that there will be "some new delight" out there, and I have found this to be true. I do have to open my eyes to it though, and if I'm looking back, pining about lost whatever, I'll never see it.

I'm also a firm believer that we are co-creators in our world. I create my life through my thought, word and action. And in SL, we do the same. We're all different. Some are builders, some are entertainers, some are socializers, some are shoppers, some...umm.....please others in very interesting and sexy ways...hehe. But we're all creating. I've had trouble with this in RL, and I'm experiementing with the possibility that SL can help me in RL somehow. By working on being more positive and loving and creative here on SL, maybe I can translate that to my RL? We'll see. If not, I'll have fun trying.

So, I'll blog about SL, but also there will be RL stuff in here as well. I'm a DJ in SL and love music, so there will be music posts....I feel a Counting Crows post coming on soon. AA and spirituality are central in my life as well. And as far as SL goes, anything is fair game. I might even explain how a hetero male such as myself gets such a kick out of donning a female avis shape, skin and hair, and how I would rather shop for her than for poor neglected Crighton. Of course, I will have to figure that out for myself first!!

:-)

3 comments:

Me said...

Nice. Something else for me to do when I'm supposed to be working. :)

Crighton Johin said...

Hey you!!! Get to work!!

Me said...

I work..in between reading TMZ and Perez Hilton. You need to compete. Post juicy stuff too. LOL