Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Shimmer by Shawn Mullins

Sharing with us what he knows
Shining eyes are big and blue
And all around him water flows
This world to him is new
This world to him is new
To touch a face
To kiss a smile
New eyes see no race
The essence of a child
The essence

He's born to shimmer, he's born to shine
He's born to radiate
He's born to live, he's born to love
But we'll teach him not to hate

True love it is a rock
Smoothed over by a stream
No ticking of a clock
Truly measures what that means
Truly measures what that means
And this thing they call our time
Heard a brilliant woman say
She said you know it's crazy
How I want to try to capture mine
I think I love this woman's way
I think I love this woman's

way she shimmers, the way she shines
The way she radiates
The way she lives, the way she loves
The way she never hates

Sometimes I think of all of this that can surround me
I know it all as being mine
But she kisses me and wraps herself around me
She gives me love, she gives me time
And I feel fine I feel fine

But time I cannot change
So here's to looking back
You know I drink a whole bottle of my pride
And I toast to change to keep these demons off my back
Just get these demons off my back

Cause I want to shimmer, I want to shine
I want to radiate
I want to live, I want to love
I want to try to learn not to hate
Try not to hate
We're born to shimmer, we're born to shine
We're born to radiate
We're born to live, we're born to love
We're born to never hate

2 comments:

Crighton Johin said...

This is one of my favorite songs. A lot of people only know Shawn Mullins from his big hit, Lullaby, but he's a great songwriter....a brilliant lyricist. Three verses. Birth, Love and Self. I'm glad I don't hate today....granted I have my lapses, but I would rather shimmer and shine than hate. I have sad days, but the good and great days far outweigh them.

Here's to change for the better in 2008....to shining....to radiate.

bigd Flanagan said...

I guess that is one of the great levelers in life. We all have that opportunity. Doesn't matter if we were brought up in a penthouse, townhouse or outhouse: life is going to rock your ass at times. It's the end result of this rocking that truly determines our destiny. I've always found that for me, when I'm faced with an oh shit situation, the less I dwell within myself and try to better the surrondings of others works. It's like I try to do a better job at the roles I've chosen for myself in this life: Husband, Father, Son and Brother, and of course friend. By enriching those people and lessening their load I actually lessen mine. 2008 is going to be a great year.